It’s so easy to take the effortless route in life. We all do it. We get comfortable and don’t want to make the extra effort. Or, we get comfortable and we don’t want to do something that makes us uncomfortable; whether that’s going to new places, experiencing new foods and cultures, or moving to a new place.
In order to grow, we have to step out of our comfort zone. This is hard. It’s even harder when we get older, more relaxed and set in our ways, and we’re less likely to be spontaneous.
Picture this, you’re at a cocktail party and you see a friend you haven’t seen in ages. After the hugs, and exclamations that ‘you look great‘, your friend asks you, “So, what have you been doing lately?” Your reply, “Nothing much. Same old, same old.”
Then, you ask your friend, “What have YOU been doing lately?” Your friend smiles broadly, and replies, “Well, I just recently returned from Africa; I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro! It was terrifying, and exhilarating!”
At that moment, don’t you want to be that person, just for a second? Instead of living vicariously through our friends that have the guts to step out of their comfort zone, be that person and step out of yours. Take baby steps, and build up to something spectacular. Reinvent yourself – here are some ideas:
- Ask for raise at work
- Speak in public, especially if the thought terrifies you (I’m raising my hand)
- Sing in public – karaoke night anyone?
- Stand up for yourself
- Move somewhere new
- Run a 5k (train first!)
- Apply for that dream job that you think you aren’t qualified for
- Climb a mountain
- Don’t apologize (unless you need to)
- Don’t make excuses
- Say yes to more social events
- Plan a cross country road trip
- Travel alone
- Introduce yourself to a stranger at a party & chat them up
- Say I Love You first and more often
- Log off social media for the weekend
- Start a business
- Leave a toxic relationship/friendship
- Think of something you’ve always wanted to do and take steps toward making it happen.
image via unsplash